Zoom conferencing software is similar to Skype, FaceTime and Google Hangouts but seems to have some advantages in what it gives for free (multiple users) and ease of use over Hangouts. At this point HC is just experimenting with the free version, we might decide to go with a few "Pro" accounts or an institutional account with KanRan. One limitation of the free version is a 40 minute time limit so if your meeting is longer than that, you will need to create a "part two" of the meeting. Complete listing of their plans can be found here.
Some features of Zoom:
- ZOOM enables users to have an interactive, high quality video and audio conference from laptops, desktops and other mobile devices with up to 25 attendees.
- Zoom includes features like screen sharing and recording capabilities. You simply create a meeting and email others to join
- It also includes FREE telephone bridging so you can bring in participants via telephone easily as well.
- ZOOM works on devices like, iPhone (iOS), iPAD (iOS), Android devices (cell phones and tablets), Mac (OSX.6 and newer), and Windows (Windows Vista and newer).
- You can also add the Zoom Cloud Meeting app to your Google profile so you can create a meeting on your calendar and make it a Zoom meeting.
- To use Zoom you need to create a free Zoom account or login with your Google or Facebook ID
- You will also need to download the free software or App for your mobile device
To get started:
- Go to http://zoom.us from your mobile device and or computer
- Scroll to the very bottom of the website and CLICK ON DOWNLOAD
- Follow the instructions to download and install
- You can now either create a meeting and ask others to join, or if you get an email invitation to join a meeting, just click the link in the email and you will be taken to the meeting